Thursday, July 7, 2011

Was I sore from walking and jogging?

Was I sore from my first time out, walking and jogging for 30 minutes?  Yes and no.  Yesterday evening, after my first attempt at interval training, walking and jogging at a nearby track, I was elated that I did complete the 30 minute aerobic workout, even jogging a good bit of the way.  But by 9pm, I was in agony!  My thigh muscles and bones hurt bad.  Soon I was asking my sweet husband for a massage, and frantically looking for my old friend, naproxen.

I hate to admit it, but I became fairly upset. I was sure I'd just ruined my fitness plans by working out too much, too soon.  I couldn't find the naproxen I'd not used in 2 weeks, but did find some of my old stand-by, ibuprofen...and yes... I took 2.

As my husband massaged my cramping thighs, he asked a simple question:  "How much water have you drank today?"

I think I may have actually been a bit dehydrated, causing the cramping to be all the worse.  I downed a tall glass of water, and 1/2 a glass of milk (for the calcium) and was soon asleep.

I woke to no more soreness.  None.  I did my stretches as usual, and set out on my day.  No soreness!  I'll be hitting the track again tomorrow morning :)

ALSO... FYI... I'm adding a few pages to this blog.  Many of you have been trying to keep track of the recipes, and asking for links to some of the stretches and exercises I've discovered online.  The new pages are on tabs across the top of the page, and will provide handy references to recipes and useful links.

Thanks for all the great feedback!  I've received lots of emails, and really appreciate all the encouragement and reports of smoothie successes.  Please remember that you can comment on each blog post.  I welcome you to share recipes, your experiences, favorite tips, etc.

1 comment:

Lola said...

I did the coffee shake today and it was great. It did help me through my normally sluggish afternoon and evening. So glade to hear that you soreness diappeared so fast. Makes sense though, my oldest son had a personal trainer that had him drink a protein shake soon after workouts and it helped him not be sore. I hadn't remembered it until reading your post. Love the new tabs, thanks.