Monday, July 11, 2011

I weighed, and I don't want to talk about it

I weighed, despite my sudden fear of the scales, and I really don't want to talk about it, but I probably should.  I've not lost ANY pounds!  But then I've not gained, either.  Feel free to use the comments section to list your thoughts and suggestions about that.

I did, however, get out my measuring tape, and check my body measurements against those I recorded on Fitday.com back in January, when I first started trying to lose weight.

And I'm thrilled to announce....drum roll....I've lost 4 inches from my waist.

Since January, I have lost 13 pounds.  But since beginning my stretches and aerobics, and now my weight training (more on that in a bit) I've not lost an ounce.  I'd like to think I'm gaining so much bone and muscle that I've not shown a weight loss.  But for being on the safe side, I did double check these protein shakes to be sure I've not actually increased my calorie intake, and possibly yours, too, as many of you have let me know you have now begun protein shakes as well.  You'll notice the nutritional stats on the recipes listed on the recipe page.  The Cinna-power Frap is only 243 calories, and the High-protein Fruit Smoothie is a bit more, at 368 calories.  Enjoying these and a light salad, then a reasonable dinner, still has me well under 1700 calories per day...well under...so I'm not going to worry too much yet.

I have begun a few exercises using 4lb. weights.  I chose the soft and comfortable to grip walking weights, which have a strap to hold them onto my hand, and are meant to use while power walking.  I will use them for that soon.  For now I've been doing exercises like these (click the link).  I don't have an exercise ball yet, but do want to get one.

I've also added a link to the links page for HealthStatus.com which offers free fitness assessments and tools.  I really recommend their fitness assessments...they are great for helping you gauge where you are at, and for knowing where you want to be.

being lapped
So, while walking this morning, I was lapped at least 5 times, though my daughter says it was more, by a woman who was in great shape, bopping along reading a book as she went.  I worked at relaxing my shoulders, tried not to hunch forward as I went, and tried to focus my breathing into something more useful than a pant.  And I jogged quite a bit.  But still she lapped me.  I admit to a mild embarrassment at first, then realized I had the advantage, as compared to her, I was walking with at least a 50lb. weight on my back (side).  And I also took time to see if I could learn anything from her, as she paced past me.  I noticed, for one thing, she was faster.  I know.. laugh out loud, right, but seriously.  It's a goal to get faster.  I also noticed that she was relaxed, and keeping an even pace.  That she wore good walking shoes (the most important must-have, in my opinion) and she provided herself a great distraction with that book she was thumbing through as she went.  All things to think about.  I'm nowhere near being able to focus on reading as I walk, but still, it's important to glean what we can from those further down the fitness road than we are, and I took it as a great opportunity to do just that, as she passed me by again.

I may have a long way to go,
but at least I'm going :)
I walked for 45 minutes, making 18 laps around our little track.  From an aerobic workout standpoint...45 minutes is good.  I think I'll try to keep it at 45 minutes, and work up to making more laps in that amount of time.  Let me know if you are walking...share your successes and goals...I love getting your comments.

****Here's two great reads about aerobic exercise and interval training from the Mayo Clinic.  (click the highlighted links)

About my gardens... first the tornado...then the heat wave and drought...now the grasshoppers have just about stripped everything green.  I'm turning my sights to a fall garden.  Any tips for me?

1 comment:

Booba Juice said...

I am so enjoying reading this blog. Keep it up!