Thursday, June 30, 2011

OK...Maybe not a mountain...

...but a large hill at least.  Jesus said that with faith and determination we could say to a mountain to pick itself up and be cast into the sea, and it would be so...therefore, with faith and determination, I'm going to change the rocky, barren top of our hill into a lush and productive garden.  And I'm going to change my sadly out-of-shape, stiff and sore and uncooperative body into a healthy and useful tool for doing just that...moving this mountain.

Thing is, I don't want to keep sliding down this steep hill on my backside.  I mean, I'm 47, 5'7", and 219 lbs.  I have lost a major portion of my flexibility, mobility, sociability, agility, and just plain ol' ability.  I've told my kids over and over I want to be among the first of our era to live to be 150.  But I don't know ANY 80 year olds who've lived the last 40 years of their lives in my physical condition.  So, the time is now, and the change is absolutely vital, I must get in shape and stay that way.

I've taken inventory:  I lack the muscular strength and flexibility to do a jumping jack, much less a sit-up or a push-up.  While I do see a few in Wal Mart with more pounds to lose than maybe I do, my weight is slowing me down and doing me in.  What I do have in my favor is a huge amount of determination.  I'm going to take that determination, and work toward a new body, while I work on transforming my Oklahoma hill into the gardens and orchards my husband and I have dreamed of enjoying.

One of my first tactics is to publicize my intent, thus this blog.  It will be harder for me to slack off or back out if I've let all my friends and family in on my plan.

I've also googled extensively.  I'm armed with stretches and excercises, with nutritional info, and a set of goals and objectives.  I've taken into account my weaknesses and my strengths.

And I did one other thing...something I've not done in many years... I wore a swimsuit in public.  I want to look healthy and radiant.  I look like a fat old grandma.  But I'm not going to hide what I look like anymore.  I'm dealing with it, all pretensions aside.  Ever look at a photo of yourself, only to be truly shocked at what you see?  I think that is because we inwardly deceive ourselves into seeing ourselves as we wish we were.  No more for me.  I've faced my self, and decided to change what I see.

Just like I can change this hill, I can change my self.  And so, here goes. A recipe, and my Goals and Action Plan follow:

Power-Punched Fruit Smoothie
1 scoop whey protein powder
1 small handful frozen fruit
2 Tablespoons frozen juice concentrate
1 Tablespoon stevia crystals
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
8 oz. strong green tea
3 panax ginseng capsules
3 cranberry capsules
3 Omega 3-6-9 capsules


Into a blender, add all of the above, actually opening and emptying the capsules, rather than throwing them in whole.  Blend on a low setting for 10 seconds, to combine.  Add 6 ice cubes at a time, blending on ice-crusher setting, until desired thickness is achieved.  This smoothie gives me loads of energy.  (No real wonder, with the green tea and ginseng, but I think it may be largely in part because of the protein.)

  • This blog, and the contents thereof, are my personal experience and recipes, and in no way represent a medical opinion or suggestion as to anyone's health.  Get a doctor. Don't expect like results. Not responsible for accidents. Read at your own risk.


GOALS:

  1. Go from 219 to 125 lbs.
  2. Become strong and physically fit.
  3. Have less stress-related pain episodes.
  4. Reduce incidence of strain-related pain.
ACTION PLAN:

  1. Add quality lean protein and reduce fats and sugars in diet.
  2. Begin stretching routine. (June 25)
  3. Begin simple exercises using my own body weight. (July 9)
  4. Begin gentle weight training and aerobic exercise. (July 23)
  5. Begin more agressive weight training and aerobics such as jump rope. (Aug. 6)
  6. Begin p90x 90-day program. (Sept. 3 - Dec. 2)
By March 17, 2012, I want to have completed the p90x program 2 times.  Will I make it? I want to say 'maybe...maybe at least I will finish it once.'  But I'm afraid to leave all that room for failure, so I'm going at it saying 'YES!  I will make it!

No comments: