Friday, July 1, 2011

Developing a new normal

We've all heard it over and over... it's not about fad diets and gym memberships... it's about a lifestyle change.  That's what brings about better health and fitness.  So I'm trying to develop a new normal for myself.  A new 'usual thing to eat,' a new 'morning routine.'

It seems like what will make it the normal is simply being dedicated, determined, to do it over and over.  I don't have a personal trainer.  I've got google.  I research something just about every day... what nutrients I need for health, what exercises might work, what other people are doing.  And I've implemented a couple of changes.

Mornings are my really 'stiff' time.  For several years now (wow.. thinking about it, it's easily been a decade) the first element of my morning has been what I describe as the Frankenstein shuffle to the bathroom.  I want to be rid of the shuffle.  I want to be able to get out of bed and actual bend at the knees and ankles.  Based on this goal, I've committed to the following:


  1. Complete 2 series of stretches every day, morning and evening.  After only 4 days, I'm seeing results.
  2. Research diet, exercise, and dietary supplements to find what will help.
  3. Decrease or eliminate the use of naproxen.
This morning I had no 'shuffle' going on at all.  Seriously.  I stood and walked.  Could it really be this simple?!?

My new morning routine (at least this week) is to wake and turn tv on to Veria.  They have yoga going in the mornings, about the time I usually wake.  Even though I can't do all they are doing at this point, I do what I can, and fill in with my stretches.  It's inspirational for me...gets me moving.  Then I make myself a tasty high-protein frappucino that I've really grown to love as much for its energizing properties as for its taste, and take it with me outdoors to do some walking, watering, weeding, bird watching, etc.  I try to make it a quiet time of reflection, including a few on-purpose deep breaths.  Frappucino recipe follows:

Cinna-power Frap**


1 scoop whey protein powder
2 Tablespoons instant coffee
1 cup fat free (skim) milk
2 panax ginseng capsules
3 Omega 3-6-9 capsules
3 Cinnamon +Chromium capsules
about 8 ice cubes


Into a blender, place all above ingredients, opening the capsules and releasing contents, rather than placing capsules in the mix (the don't blend).  Process until fairly smooth.


**Consume at your own risk.  I enjoy it, but I'm not a doctor or nutritionist.

No comments: