Sunday, July 3, 2011

Adding alpha-lipoic acid

In pursuit of better nutritional support for my new lifestyle of getting physically fit and staying that way, I've happened upon a great website full of information on sorts of healthy topics.  I invite everyone to visit lifescript, healthy living for women.

Lifescript has loads of articles I found interesting and informational, but the best part I've found thus far is the information available concerning dietary supplements (vitamins, minerals, etc.).  And one of those dietary supplements I'm very excited about is alpha-lipoic acid.  According to lifescript:

  • Alpha-lipoic acid assists the body’s energy production and acts as a powerful antioxidant, helping to treat diabetic neuropathy (nerve-damage caused by the disease), protecting the liver, preventing cataracts, boosting immune function, and possibly helping to slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
It appears that alpha-lipoic acid may be beneficial in helping me gain more energy from the food I eat by helping my cells utilize the insulin my body produces, while also working as an antioxidant (think of it like removing the rust from an old tool) and also boosting the efficiency of other antioxidants like vitamin C.


Apparently, according to what I read at lifescript, alpha-lipoic acid may also help reverse diabetic neuropathy (I'm hoping to regain some of the normal feeling in my lower legs and feet, though I've never been actually diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy, only 'general neuropathy') while also protecting my liver from the harmful effects of toxins that have undoubtedly been stored in my fat, and are being released into my system because I am losing weight.


What's not to love?!  For all the benefits I'm reading about alpha-lipoic acid, isn't it a wonder that my doctors, over the years, have not encouraged me to take a supplement?  I've read on other sites and heard on tv shows that this is good stuff, and now, upon investigating, I read about all these great benefits.  I bought my supplement at Wal-mart, and have begun adding it to my smoothies.  I'm taking a total of 400-600 mg per day.  I've not noticed any ill effects, and I'm hoping the positive results will show themselves in time.


A run down of supplements I'm currently using:**

** How do I know what is a good supplement?  I'm just a regular person doing all the online research I can, hoping the things I've read are correct.  I'm stating what I do, not what you should necessarily do.  Everyone should do their own research, and consult their physician or dietitian as needed.


For breakfast I have a coffee smoothie, for lunch I have a fruit smoothie with a salad if I want one, and for dinner, I eat a low-fat meal.  I can't say the weight is just falling off yet, but I can absolutely attest that I FEEL BETTER!  Way better!  I'm no longer sleepy and sluggish.  I have loads of energy, and that cloudy-headed feeling is gone.  I weigh again tomorrow...wish me luck :)

No comments: