Friday, July 1, 2011

Raising weeds with Tender Loving Care

My first flower bed on the hill... I sow a variety of heat-loving, drought-tolerant flowers.  Add to that a few 1/2 price Peaches and Cream Dahlias, marked down because it was a bit late for planting those in my area.  Now, seeds aren't doing anything yet, so make a few spots for transplants, graciously offered from my mom's gardens.  Spearmint, Amaryllis, a bit of 'monkey-grass,' and for good measure, throw in a couple of accidentally broken off stems of stone crop.  There you go...water liberally, and watch it grow.

About a month later, FINALLY!  A few seedlings have begun to grow more than two leaves.  I had been carefully pulling weeds, determined to be weeds because they didn't seem to look alike, and because they didn't seem to be growing where I planted seeds.  Of course, the various grassy weeds were easy to spot.  But slowly, I began to recognize similarity in two particular little seedlings, so I was careful to leave those and weed all around them, careful that they should not be smothered by impostors.

Another 5 or 6 weeks go by, and my transplanted Amaryllis are in full bloom, and my little jaunty seedlings have taken on lives of their own.  Now, I have about 10 or 12 knee-high plants that produce little Chinese lantern seed pods beneath their pointy leaves, and then the smooth green-leafed knee-highers that are beginning to put up lame-looking bloom spires with completely non-impressive little white flowers.

A couple more weeks go by, these are completely eclipsing my Dahlias, to say nothing of the mint and the now impossible to find Amaryllis.  I am beginning to realize that I've been duped, and its hot outside, no HOT out, and I'm standing there watering and watering and watering... I'm done!  I reach in and pull a weed.  I know its a weed because it has done its thing and completely not impressed me.  I pull another...it feels kind of exhilarating.  I reach in for another and another and... out flew a Dahlia.  I quickly grabbed it, murmured an apology, shoved it back in the ground and threw a bit of water on it.  I'm done weeding.

Proceed another week...I'm sick of watering these weeds...but the good things in the flower bed need the water more than ever, as these greedy weeds suck up the moisture from around the good guys' more compliant roots.  Enough!  With a level head and great care, I pulled all the weeds this morning, and not one Dahlia gave up its spot.  At first I only thought of the need to get rid of the weeds.

But after the weed pulling was finished, and the watering commenced...behold...bare ground begging for seeds!  Its a fresh start.  How EXCITING!  So many options...so many choices.  No more weeds sucking up the nourishment and the energy I put into my flower bed.

I won't elaborate on the spiritual, physical, wellness parallels one could draw.  You can plainly see them, or you are still in the weed-nurturing stage, in which case you will eventually see the weeds for what they are, but at present, you'd not likely be ready to listen to any further sermon on the point at any rate.

NOTE: All time frames and growth rates are purely from the memory of an impatient gardener under a 100F sun, and for the purposes of lending the understanding that none of it happened overnight.


Kneck Stretch**
Step 1

Our neck is highly sensitive and vital. Thus, you should not overstretch or bounce your neck to any direction when performing the neck exercises. You can prevent this by having your neck stretched. Use this section as guideline so that you can be sure you are stretching your neck the right way. 
STEP 1: Stand (with feet hip-width apart) or sit with your shoulders relaxed and arms hanging loosely at sides.
Step 2
STEP 2: Gently tilt your head to one side to feel the stretch in the opposite side of the neck.  Hold for 8-10 seconds on each side.  Repeat 2-3 times.


**Purely a suggestion of a way to gain flexibility in the neck.  It might not work for you or even be good for you. Stretch at your own risk.  You may want to consult your physician before beginning any type of exercise program.  Not responsible for accidents.


No comments: