Friday, July 8, 2011

Kids getting in on the fun

In developing my new normal, I've begun to go to the nearby city park walking track, and have been bringing my home schooled kids along.  Its a good outing for us.  But today, as I reflected on my laps, I experienced this profound moment.  One of those moments when the clouds part and a beam of light shines down and you hear angelic voices in an harmonic, sustained AAAHHHHHHH.

Why not get the kids in on the exercise?  And...further more...why not use walking laps around that track as a positive influence in their lives?  In other words, why not hand out Positive Influence Laps (PILS for short) as a positive way of influencing them to obedience, courtesy, respect, etc.  Pure genious!  Inspired!

I've announced my plans to give them PILS when they take more than 5 minutes to get on task, or when I have to break up arguments, and also when they talk back or show disrespect.  It's been one hour since the proclamation.  They have been calm, courteous, respectful, and have reminded each other to not argue at least 5 times.

This morning I hit the track for the second time.  But not before taking a 100' tape measure and actually measuring that track.  It is small.  Only 700' around.  I did my 30 minutes of aerobic interval training.  I walked 1 mile and jogged about .5 miles, for a total of 1.59 miles traveled.  That means my average speed was just over 3 mph.  I have a long way to go, but I'm getting there!  I'd like to average 4.5 mph soon.

I didn't weigh this morning.  I will tomorrow.  I will face that scale.  I'm afraid that I've gained, and afraid of the disappointment.  But what I'm trying to keep in mind is that I FEEL GREAT!  Even if I've not lost pounds, I've gained flexibility and strength.  Pounds will follow.  I tell myself this.  But I'm scared of the scales.

I'm off to buy a set of 5lb. weights and a work-out mat.

No comments: