Sunday, July 3, 2011

Success!!

About a week ago I began flexibility training.  Using a set of stretches daily, I've worked all week at loosening up shortened and stiffened muscles and tendons in an effort to prepare my ole grandma body for more strenuous exercises, eventually working up to the famous p90x program.

And today I report SUCCESS!  Okay.. I'm not ready for the p90x, but, I've definitely increased my flexibility.  I began the week realizing I could not flex my wrists sufficiently to put my palms down on the floor for a push-up.  Today, I can flex my wrists, and also I can bend from the waist and touch the floor with my fingertips.  No kidding!  I can do it.

I get out of bed in the morning and walk.. no Frankenstein shuffle.  I can't tell you how this affects me.  I begin my day feeling strong and able, instead of like I need a ride to the toilet.

This small success has really helped me with a great surge of confidence that I CAN get back in shape.  For those of you unfamiliar with the p90x program, you should have a look at the link.  My kids had a look with me at a particular testimonial of a middle-aged mom of 7, and one of my kids (remaining nameless) has expressed concern that he doesn't want me to 'look like that.'  Well.. no worries there, I'm sure.

The reason I want to complete the p90x program is to simply BE ABLE to do so.  Having that flexibility and strength will undoubtedly make me healthier, happier, stronger...it will help me accomplish many other goals.  I'm currently on track to begin p90x in September.

If any of you have completed such a program, give us a comment :)  I'd be truly interested to know your experiences.

No comments: